Thoughts from a broken mind
by: John McKiernan
More than 40 countries, including China, require the labeling of genetically modified foods, but the U.S. is not one of them. Almost the entire U.S. soy (94 percent) and corn (72 percent) crop is now GMO. The only way to avoid these crops is to buy certified organic. Recent polls show 90 percent of Americans want GMO labeling, yet the big food corporations are still not required to label. Americans believe strongly in their right to know what’s in their food, yet we still don’t have any laws about it. Why?
The politicians that started it all
The U.S. continues to adhere to a decades old policy regarding GMO food-labeling. Twenty years ago then-Vice President Dan Quayle required no new laws for genetically engineered foods, under the persuasion that genetic engineering is no different than traditional plant breeding.
From Dan Quayle’s policy speech regarding America’s stance on GMOs:
“The U.S. is already the world leader in biotechnology and we want to keep it that way. In 1991 alone, it was a 4 billion dollar industry; it should reach at least 50 billion dollars by the year 2000, as long as we resist the spread of unnecessary regulation.”
Quayle isn’t the only one to blame. Unbelievably the policy was written by a former Monsanto lawyer named Michael Taylor, who served as the FDA deputy commissioner of policy under the Bush administration. Incredibly, again in 2009 the Obama administration elected Taylor as the deputy commissioner of foods, where he presently supervises food safety policy for the federal government.
Thanks to government corruption and politicians like Quayle and Taylor, the U.S. is at odds with the rest world and its own people on an issue that is so crucial.
The corporate anti-labeling team
As the November ballot approaches the pro-GMO corporations are preparing to launch a massive PR campaign designed to scare California voters into voting against the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act.
It is estimated that they will spend between 60 and 100 million dollars in an attempt to convince California voters that GMOs are perfectly safe. They’ll also try to scare voters into the belief that labeling will make food more costly, that it will spark hundreds of lawsuits against small farmers and small businesses, and that it will contribute to world hunger.
The Coalition Against Costly Food Labeling Proposition (CACFLP) runs a website called StopCostlyFoodLabeling.com, giving the impression that this is a group concerned about protecting consumers and their wallets. They refer to the Right to Know GMO Foods Act solely as “The Costly Food Labeling Proposition” and make unsubstantiated claims on their website including:
The initiative would “Ban the sale of tens of thousands of common, perfectly safe grocery products in California unless they are specially repackaged and relabeled just for our state” and “Create a whole new category of frivolous and costly lawsuits that will cost consumers and taxpayers.”
Pamm Larry started the GMO labeling movement in California by simply gathering signatures for a petition. She didn’t have any corporate funding or big business connections, she was simply a woman with a clipboard who believed in a cause. That petition gathered nearly a million signatures (nearly double the 504,760 signatures needed under the state’s proposition rules) and will therefore be placed on the California ballot this November. Now California’s voters will finally have the chance to be heard, as they will vote to pass into law a bill that would require the labeling of all foods containing ingredients from genetically modified crops.
California is just the beginning
California is a trend setting state that represents a big piece of the food market. Food labeling laws that start in California will undoubtedly spread like wildfire. As for the food corporations, it’s going to be more costly for them to have separate packaging for California, so they will put up the biggest fight in the beginning and thus this will be the biggest win for the people.
Sources for this article include:
by: JB Bardot
There have been various reports on NaturalNews and in the mainstream media concerning the side effects of consuming food that has been genetically modified. Symptoms ranging from digestive and reproductive disorders to liver failure, internal bleeding and immune system dysfunction are being reported. A combination of home remedies, nutrition and homeopathic medicines may help restore your health. This list is by no means exhaustive. Individuals who are seriously ill from ingesting GMOs should consult an alternative healthcare practitioner rather than self-treat.
Not all side effects from GMOs are physical. Homeopathic medicines address physical, mental or emotional symptoms related to the subject.
·Nux vomica supports the liver, for cleansing and rejuvenation. The person needing Nux vomica is generally angry, bossy, eats and drinks to excess and has many digestive upsets.
·Arsenicum album relieves acute cases of vomiting and diarrhea. It is useful after ingesting genetically modified organisms that may trigger a sensitive stomach producing symptoms similar to food poisoning.
·Rhus tox may help an individual who believes he has been poisoned by GMO foods he’s eaten. The person may be paranoid, suspicious and restless. He may complain of joint pain, stiffness or display an itchy rash.
·Staphysagria may provide relief for someone experiencing a feeling of outrage over being subjected to the entire GMO takeover of the food system. It is a remedy often used for those who’ve been raped or attacked and feel violated.
·Gelsemium is indicated for someone who becomes anxious and fearful just thinking about what might happen as a result of eating genetically modified foods. There may be flu-like aches and pains, weakness and a headache in the back of the head and neck.
·Phosphorus should help in cases where there is internal bleeding or blood disorder related to side effects of GMO foods, especially those that produce Bt toxins, such as genetically modified corn.
· After being deprived of healthy nutrients from genetically modified foods, it’s important to replace them with organic foods that provide nourishment, vitamins, minerals and necessary enzymes. Reestablishing balance by restoring a healthy pH and reducing acidosis goes a long way toward protecting and restoring the system that’s at the effect of GMOs.
· Start eating organic fruits and vegetables and if you can, juice them several times a day.
· Add green coconut water to cleanse the liver and blood and help destroy parasites, fungi and bacteria that are transmitted through genetically modified organisms.
· Eat foods that boost your immune system and supply vital nutrients such as vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids.
· Take garlic, echinacea, milk thistle, pau d’arco tea, colloidal silver, or other immune-building herbs to help your body fight toxins from GMO foods.
· Create an alkaline environment to destroy invasive organisms and protect the advancement of noxious parasites and disease states.
· Support an alkaline pH with ancient, tiny grains such as quinoa, amaranth and millet. These foods are much more alkaline than other grains and are gluten-free.
· Add organic apple cider vinegar (ACV) to your diet. Mix 2 Tbs with 8 oz. water and drink to establish alkalinity in your gut.
· Mix 2 Tbs lemon juice with 1/2 tsp baking soda for an instant alkaline cocktail. Allow bubbling to settle and add 8 oz. water. Drink at once. You can substitute ACV for lemon juice.
· In cases of extreme emergency when you need to get alkaline fast, mix 1/2 tsp cream of tartar in 8 oz. water and drink immediately.
Sources for this article include: